Kassidy birthday ticker

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Baby ticker

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Tuesday, September 2, 2008

What does $5.97 buy you?

(I love Walmart)

3 comments:

Jodi said...

You know Angie, I just took a minute to actually look at everything closely here. I can't believe this was only $5.97. The spritzer alone is near that price. How in the world can they do that?! Wow. And good for you for getting the deal yet again. : )

homingduck said...

I wasn't going to comment (read: get on my soapbox!) about this post but given the previous post re: min wage (which was just recently raised from $8.00/hr to $8.40/hr - it is the THIRD highest min wage behind Ont and Man eventhough Alberta is topping the provinces in terms of cost of living just behind BC I think)I thought that this might be meaningful to someone who, like myself, finds things like the cost of living, poverty line, and wages deplorable for the majority of society.

Wal-Mart keeps its costs so low through a number of measures, not the least of which include keeping it's employees at just minimum wage, skimping on benefits (health, retirement, etc)child labour (actual employment of underage workers locally as well as stocking their shelves with goods made by children in third world countries working for next to nothing), and labour abuses (such as having workers work overtime and not paying them for said time).

Of course, your local Wal-Mart is most likely not employing underaged workers or offering slim to none benefit packages (mostly because in Canada we have universal health care and we don't need to pay out of pocket to receive care....yet)but it is a subsidiary of the Amercian company who is commiting these (and other) atrocities.

It is definitely hard to know how to be a more conscious consumer when it's hard to know which companies are doing what. And even when you know, how do you necessarily make real change (for example, what store is North Amercan ISN'T packed with goods from China, India, Indonesia, etc?)? But when a company becomes so internationally known for it's horrible labour and human rights (not to mention environmental) violations, it can move people to at least avoid the largest offenders.

Sorry! I know Wal-Mart has the "best deals" and everyone is trying to do their best in this "on-fire" economy but sometimes when it's "too-good-to-be-true" it's because someone else, somewhere, is paying the extra cost for that spritzer.

If you want more information/facts this is a good website:
http://www.wakeupwalmart.com/facts/

Angie said...

Hmmm....pretty sure I don't have any friends called homingduck. Looks like I'll have to take my friends lead and change my posts to 'authorized by me' only.