We went for Kassidy's specialist appointment yesterday and it was I had suspected, she needs another surgery. I thought so because when she is naked and I look at her from the back I can tell one butt cheek is lower than the other, so her legs are uneven. I asked the Dr "What happens if we don't do the surgery?" and he said that if we don't do it now that as she gets older and heavier the hip joint will wear down prematurly (because it's not where it's supposed to be so isn't working as it should) and will need surgery when she's older. So it's better to do it now while she is young and can heal quickly. I took the news in stride. It doesn't seem real yet since a year is so far away. Of course I have a lot of questions that I'll have to find answers to well before the day happens, so won't be able to leave my mind entirely, but I'll do my best. Some of the things I need to know are:
- How will I lift a 3 1/2 year old girl (presumably around 40lbs) in a spica (close to full body) cast?
- Hoping she'll be potty trained by then, how will she go the bathroom? (You've seen posts when she was a baby what the cast looks like. So do I have to hold her 40lb body + cast over the toilet, and how do I make sure the pee goes where it's supposed to and not accidentally run down her leg and into the cast?)
- How will I keep my girl entertained and happy for 6 weeks as she is house bound?
- How will we even get her home from the hospital and then back again??? She sure the heck won't fit into a car seat.
I'm sure I'll think of more questions as I research stuff.
Thankfully the surgery will be done in the winter. Even though we are a year round out door family it's much better to be stuck indoors in the winter than the summer.
Well, Kassidy's Auntie Jodi, looks like that bean bag gift you got her will come in handy once again. :) Not that you were hoping for that, I know! But it sure has turned out to be a useful present (along with being comfy and fun).
Other than that, yesterday was awesome. When she got her xrays done she thought it was a game and kept laughing. I'm sure the xray attendants were pretty pleased to have a happy two year old to xray rather than a scared crying two year old. I took the day off assuming most parents need me for the entire day and not just a half day, and we were done by 10:30am. So we went to Childrens Place and got some wicked deals, then met my friend Sarah and Kassidy's friend Liam at McDonalds for lunch, then took the kids to Millenium Place park where they ran around like monkeys for an hour. Kassidy was extremly pooped after all that and fell asleep on the ride home. Then I made dinner and it was out the door again to swimming lessons. Oh yes, my girl was a tired one after that day!!
Christmas and New Years 2015
10 years ago




2 comments:
Well, although the news is not ideal, i might have one answer for you.
Hopefully if she's 40 lbs by then, she can use one of those little booster seats rather than a car seat and hopefully that will help...?
I dunno, just hoping to give some sort of good news...
You're right. That is NOT what I had in mind when I bought that chair. At ALL. yet I am relieved that there will be something to hold up sweet little Kassidy when the time comes.
I think you're wise to start getting the questions out and trying to figure out answers around the logistics of what you both have to go through. Although I am of absolutely no help (except for a listening ear, or company), I'm glad you belong to the spica groups where those people have children who have been Kassidy's age when this happened--and can hopefully shed some light and wisdom for you. Going in mentally prepared will make a difference, I'm sure of it. And of course you know that too. you're a smart cookie.
I'm so sorry to hear your news, but I also know my little niece is one determined little lady. And that she's bright and cheerful and resourceful. I know that she will do what she needs to to make it work for her. And the same could be said for her Mama. : )
Sending you a big hug and love. We have to get together soon!
Post a Comment