Kassidy birthday ticker

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Baby ticker

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Saturday, May 8, 2010

stitches

This afternoon Dan took Kassidy to Pam & Troy's house to make a mother's day gift for me, and apparantly to give me an early mother's day present - some time to myself! Silly me, used the time to do things around the house, but I still loved it. :)

After a couple hours Dan called to say that Kassidy hurt her chin in the house and Pam didn't think it was too bad but she wasn't sure. Kassidy was playing again and happy, and Dan sounded calm about it all, so I didn't think it was a big deal. I went over there and when my girl saw me she started to cry and recount her accident. My poor little girl! I was glad I wasn't there, because apparantly there was quite a bit of blood, but the other side of me wished I had been there because as everyone knows there is nothing like a Mom to comfort you when you are hurt.

She had been pushing a chair accross the floor (a little Bumbo chair) and slipped and hit her chin on the corner of the hardwood. I tried to take the bandaide and sutures off but she started screaming. It took the three of us and about 10 minutes and 8 gummy candies to get it off of her. It was still bleeding quite a bit so it was hard to see how deep the cut was. My instinct said to get it checked out so off we went to the Sherwood Park Emergency walk-in clinic. We got there at 5pm. It opens at 5:30, and we were already 3rd in line! But they are soooo efficient there, it didn't take long at all. We were out at 5:50! They put her on a stretcher, tied her up like a 'bug in a rug' so her arms couldn't get out, then took a look. This time I could see how deep the gash was and I could barely look at it because it was so gross. I could see parts of white stuff inside it, and Pam (a nurse) said it was some kind of bone stuff. *gag* They had to stick a big long needle in her chin to freeze it, which when they did that she SCREAMED and I had to bite my cheeks because it was making ME cry! After the freezing set they put two little blue stitches in her chin. The little ends of the strings stick out, like hair, so she said she looks like Daddy now. :)

I have to keep it dry and clean and change the sutures when they start to come off, to keep the wound nice and tight together. I'll make an appointment for next Friday at her regular doctor to get the stitches taken out. Now for MY challenge - to keep my girl from running around and roughhousing with her friends this week. That's not just a challenge, that almost seems impossible! haha. But I'll do my darndest because the nurse drilled it into me that it was very important that it doesn't get hurt again while healing. Here are some after pictures, and a picture of her last Sunday before church (she is standing beside a train she made with the chairs):



No comments: