Kassidy birthday ticker

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Baby ticker

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Happy day!

We had a Dr Dick visit today, and good news! Kassidy gets to be out of her splint for a few hours in the morning and a few in the afternoon! It took a long time for that to really sink in. I didn't get really excited until I got home. Weird, but maybe because I'm conditioned to getting bad news with this that I had to take time to process that this was a GOOD thing! Part of me was really afraid to be happy also (honestly, afraid), because I had been happy before (about this) only to have that happiness snatched away from me.

I had to stop at a store on the way home, and when I got there I realized that I could put her in a shopping cart. WOW!!! For dinner, I got to put her in her highchair!!! When I gave her some strawberries, I didn't have to sit there and hold her while she ate: I just put them down on her tray and she happily fed herself, while I did the dishes. I felt like I had so much freedom! Such simple things like that that we take for granted. No more struggling to get her in her car seat because the splint is so big and bulky. No more feeding her in a bean bag chair. No more having my stroller loaded down with groceries so heavy that the bottom basket drags on the ground. No more hearing children say to their parents "Mom, look at that baby. Why is she like that?" or hearing teenagers laughing at Kassidy when they see her splayed out in her stroller. My heart is singing right now. Sure, she still needs to be in the splint, but she's so young right now and still sleeps 12-15 hours a day, so the majority of the time she'll be wearing it while sleeping.

And, most importantly, how is Tiger Cat adjusting? Great! She was a little unsure of the high chair, but did just fine in it. As for crawling....she's NEVER crawled in her life (just dragged herself around with her arms), but within one minute of putting her on the ground, up went her tiny little knees, and she was off! Not a perfect crawl yet (she's only had an hour practice!) but I think it was the most perfect thing I've ever seen. : )

As for the technical side of things, she's still not healed. The hip is where it needs to be, but it's not stable yet. We have a wonderful long break until our next dr appt: in December or January. I still have to call to make the appt. Thank goodness, because those dr visits were starting to take a toll on my nerves. We don't have any special exercises we need to do either. The OT said that babies are great because all they need to get their muscles back is to play. How easy is that? : ) I only got three instructions on what not to do, to make sure the hip doesn't pop out of joint.

And a HUGE thank you to Kassidy's Uncle Dan, who came with us on the visit today. Having you there made the day a million times easier, and gave me someone to be happy with. : )



3 comments:

RainbowBrite said...

I am so happy for your whole family. Congrats :D

BethJoy said...

Oh how beautiful it is see her chubby little legs in the air! I am so happy she has progressed to take the splint off for some periods of time, mostly day time too! You crawl girl.
Thanks for sharing your great news.

Lindsey said...

Awesome news!! Such a smart little girl gets right down and starts crawling! Right on! She'll have so much fun with her new found freedom! Glad to hear there's finally an end coming to this.
As for the comments from other kids, I am disgusted. If the kids are young enough to not know they're rude, then fine but teenagers? I don't know how you keep your mouth shut. I would have had a few snide comments back. (Of which I shall not write here ; )