Kassidy birthday ticker

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Baby ticker

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

marriage and family

I heard a statistic on the radio this morning. They say that one in four families are single parents now. This is the highest it has ever been.

First off, let me say that I have nothing but good things to say about single parents. I think they have the hardest job in the world. Secondly, obviously I'm not putting down people who divorce, because that would make me a hypocrite. I'm just putting down things that are rolling around in my mind.

Why have single parent homes have increased so much?

Have people become less tolerant to put up with their spouses bad habits? And if that's the case, 50 years ago did people just choose to live their lives with a spouse that beat them, drank themselves to oblivion, or had other indiscretions? Are people now less willing to forgive their spouse if they try to reform themselves? Is divorce just easier to get now? More socially acceptable? We only get one chance to live this life. Did people 50 years ago chose to live that life in misery and now-a-days they make the choice to find ways to make themselves happy instead? What do people think when they are saying the vows "through better or worse, till death do us part?"

I know that the bible doesn't condone divorce, but did God want us to live with a spouse that makes us miserable? Or is that part of the choices we make and have to live with? I know some people have more struggles in life than others, and is this only a struggle that we are to put up with, developing our character?

Anyway, just made me think about these things. Any ideas?

(No, Dan and I aren't having trouble, if you're wondering!) : )

3 comments:

Lindsey said...

I wonder the same things, you know. Although, yesterday Matthew informed me that he heard statistics stated that there are more Common Law relationships than marriages now (Is that his excuse for not getting married??). Why is that? If you're going to live Common Law, why not get married? It's "all the same" anyway, so sign the paper and make it official. Why are people so commitment phobic?? (You can see that not being married is not my choice).
I've wondered that about divorces too. Is it that people are just too busy for a married life? I have nothing against divorce if you've truly tried to work through it and it's not working, or if there's abuse, etc. However that being said, I think people have become lazy. They just don't want to work at the relationship. Along with that, we've become selfish and arrogant. The grass always looks greener on the other side and instead of appreciating what we have in a person, it's easier to let the negative take over. People have to realize that all couples have issues, all couples have problems and that it's healthy to argue. It's whether you choose to chalk it up as a silly arguement, or if you're going to blow it out of proportion into "we always fight." I've been in some doozy of relationships and I like to think that I know the difference between a squabble and an outright fight.
I think you're right saying that divorces are both easier these days and more socially acceptable. Plus, with things like internet dating, people are less scared of being alone when they've become newly single for the first time in years. Some figure relationships are disposable and it's easy to just pick up another one next week.
I think couples need to take more time for what's important in life which is each other, and their families. Work, money and social activities cannot fill the void in your heart that your family can. If someone has the opposite opinion in which they live to work, instead of work to live - or find that the nights out with the friends leaving the family at home are simply just too important then they shouldn't drag a second party into it. You're wasting not only your own time, but their precious time on earth as well.
Whew... that was long winded. Anyway, my opinion is people need to at least try to work things out - become less selfish and accept their own role in the relationship instead of blaming the other and pulling the Divorce Card so quickly.

BethJoy said...

hey, yeh and on the news this morning I saw that is said Married couples are now the minority for the first time in Canada!!

Angie said...

Lindsey, very well put! You got a lot of smarts in that head of yours.